Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Doomsday Preppers

It has been a long while since I've last looked in here and posted. Recently, I have once again decided to take stock of what I have, what I don't have, and what still needs to be done. Part of this rekindling is from a new series every Tuesday evening on National Geographic Channel called "Doomsday Preppers".
Very few television shows hold my interest for very long, this one is different. Every episode consists of 3 "Preppers" not unlike myself, who tell what kind of catastrophe they are preparing for, and what they are doing or have done to prepare. At the end of each segment, "Experts" from the show critic what the preppers have done and explain what needs work.
When I first seen the previews for this show, I naturally assumed that it would be filled with Crazy people, going way overboard, and making all of us look bad. I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, some are crazy, but aren't we all? I have seen both ends of the spectrum now, from the mild, to the full out and have actually gotten some good ideas as well as found holes in my own planning.
After watching just a few episodes, I decided to unpack my "Bug-Out" bag and take stock of what I had. What I found was some serious holes. I had used some items camping which never got replaced. Grabbed the rope out to hang a deer..and never replaced it. Expired products, extra clothing that no longer fit...my bag would have been almost as bad as having nothing at all.
Time to take stock again. I have started with my bag, going through the inventory of the whole house, just as if I had never done it before. Today is too late, we should have started yesterday, because tomorrow is coming sooner than you think.

No comments: