Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Making due with what you got

I know I've touched on this before, but as winter nears, my time to complete projects runs short. Every day in the mail I get catalogs with new fancy gadgets, expensive firearms, or super jiffy products that do things that I didn't even know I needed to do. Most of us can construct a similar item that will work as well as, or even better than these high-priced gadgets. The first question you have to ask is, "Can I live without it?" and then ask yourself, "How much easier will that make my life or my survival?". If your answer to both questions is satisfactory enough to you that you need that item, the next thing to look at is "What job does it accomplish?" and "Are there other ways to accomplish that job?". Now obviously most of us cannot build our own pocket GPS device, but most of us can or have been taught how to use a map and compass. For the number of times I've actually needed it, a map does me fine.
The more skills we teach ourselves, the less we become reliant on other people or products. Welding, Mechanics, gardening, canning, sewing, the list goes on of things that can be easily learned but will help you immensely both NOW and IF something were to happen that you had to become reliant on yourself and those close to you. A jack of all trades you might say. You'll be amazed at how easy some things are to pick up on, and once you learn the basics, every similar project adds a little more to that vault.

No comments: